Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hello 2015.

2015.  Just the sound of it seems crazy.  I remember all the hype leading up to the year 2000 and it seems like yesterday.  Fifteen years later and so much has changed, yet it has all happened in a moment.  I always think of the new year as a time of reflection.  A fresh start.  Not one to make big resolutions, I simply like to re-evaluate.  Think about the direction I want this new year to go.  We're a couple weeks in so I've taken some time reflecting.  I believe over the last few years my "resolutions" have been somewhat the same.  I like to think of them less as resolutions and more as the continual path to be my best self.  

Things like being in the present moment.  Letting go (cannot help but want to sing the Frozen song anytime I say Let it Go) of things that have already happened and not fretting about what is to come.  This is very yogi thinking and having yoga a big part of my life again helps focus on this.  Keeping with my favorite mantra of..."three ways to let go...accept it, change it, leave...if you can't accept it change it If you can't change it, leave it".  I love this.  It brings me clarity when I am going over and over things in my head.  Whether they be past or future it reminds me to stop and focus on the here and now.  It calms me when I begin to stress on what needs to be done and settles my thoughts when I'm over thinking things that have already happened.  This has taken work and has been on my resolution list each year for awhile.  I have, and hope to continue to improve on this.  When focusing on the present I truly get to take in moments like this...
  
Focusing on the present leads me right into my next one which is finding peace and calm with the day to day.  It's so easy to get caught up with the stuff of life.  I like trying to stay calm and centered throughout the day.  Again, probably thanks to all the yoga that's been going on this year.  But, I can't help to always want to feel like I just walked out of a class.  Carry the peace I find on the mat out there in the real world.  Find breath when chaos may be going on around me.  To be kind and non-judgemental of others.  To know this is the example I want my girls to have.  

I want to continue to let go of fear.  I remember this being a big one I had last year.  To worry less.  To not be afraid.  This goes for big things...trying new things.  It also goes for small things...day to day with the girls.  Know my fear or worry does nothing to help any situation.  Find a better way.  I feel I have been successful with this over the year and want to continue it.  I did best with worrying less about the little things.  The one I want to work on more this year would be to be less afraid of the big things.  Of changes, of taking chances, of putting yourself out there.  This past year I was given more opportunity to write for some local publications.  This came from not being afraid of rejection.  I hope to continue to do this and do it even bigger.  I think I am finding my way with this writing thing and learning when to say yes and when to say no.  When I first starting getting opportunities I felt I had to agree to everything because these people were giving me a chance.  I learned if writing for a publication didn't feel right, as much as I loved seeing my articles printed, I had to say no.  The funny thing about life is things work out.  The same day that door was closed another one opened and I got a yes from a publication I love so much.  Mamalode, a parenting magazine I had the opportunity to write for once before chose one of my articles.  It was about living and learning as we go.  Fits in quite nicely with my resolutions.  http://mamalode.com/story/detail/living-and-learning

I feel like 2015 is going to be a good year.  We are in the middle of the sweet spot.  The time with the girls where they are awesome.  They've always been awesome, but somehow it didn't feel that way when they were up crying all night.  They are currently blossoming into these young ladies and I totally dig who they are becoming.  They are independent enough that Matt and I get to focus on ourselves and each other more than those early parenting years when it was all about bottles, diapers and tantrums.  We each get chances to do our own things and make time as a couple.  All this leads to better family time.  Yes, we are very much in a sweet spot.  We are healthy.  We are happy.  And, I am so very grateful for this.  That reminds me, gratitude is right up there on my list of resolutions.  To feet grateful every day for what we have.  To put this gratitude out there.  If I ever feel lacking or get caught up in feeling we don't have enough to remember that gratitude turns what we have into enough.    

Now we settle further into January and the winter.  This time of year can be tough as I begin to dream of summer months.  It's been cold and snowy.  We've already done a lot of sledding and ice skating.  Unlike hiking or paddle boarding, I get sick of the winter hobbies.  Towards the end of summer I frantically try to cram more in.  By the middle of winter I'm over the hobbies.  Sigh.  We will get through it, just like we do each year.  And right about when I think I can't take one more winter in Montana spring breaks through and then summer with all her glory and I fall right back in love with this place.  In the meantime we'll keep on ice skating.  Even better now that we added super fun, homemade pom-poms to them...

Happy New Year friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment