Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fall Happies.

It has been awhile since I've written here.  I've had some new writing opportunities taking up my time.  It has been challenging and exciting.  Coming back here feels comfortable.  Like slipping on your favorite shoes.  A place where I can write freely.  No word limit, no questioning if it sounds like what I think someone is looking for.  The word limit is the hardest I have found.  Trying to cut 600 words to get something down to 1,000...not so easy.  I know I tend to be wordy (Matt reminds me of this often), but I like all the words.  It's hard to decide which thought should be cut when I feel they are all important.  Here I can go on and on and on.  People may stop reading around 1,000 words but I can keep on going if I want.  No worries.  

Anyways.  Along with working on other things I have been busy falling back in love with fall...

My love affair with fall has come on strong.  My full time, monogamous relationship will always be with summer, but I am deep in pumpkin cooking, changing color ogling,  scarf wearing glory lately.  We even have Halloween costumes mostly done and invites to our annual party made.  Fall is totally game on.  I'm head over heels.

This weekend was one of those rare times when it was just us four.  There were no plans with anyone and so we saw no one.  I love this.  I love being social and hanging out with friends and family, but a weekend with just us, doing our thing is totally awesome.  And easy.  It ends with me feeling filled full with family time and content.  Ready to bring on a week where spending quality time together is harder to come by.  The pace is faster and preoccupied with school and work.  

Since I'm on a roll I'll keep with it...some fall lovin'...

Pumpkin patches and corn mazes-

Last weekend with our unseasonably warm weather I deemed it too warm to go to the pumpkin patch.  Today required hats and gloves and this in my book equals pumpkin patch weather.  You have to feel crispness in the air.  There's just a small farm here that does this and we go every year.  We take the hay ride to the field where they throw a few pumpkins out.  We follow giggling girls as they run through the small corn maze.  We pet the goats and check out the pigs.  We pay for overpriced pumpkins and jump in the hay bales.  I love it.

Fall Hikes-
I don't know why, but the colors seem so spectacular this year.  Maybe because last year in October we got crazy early snow so we didn't get to enjoy the colors very long.  Whatever the case it has been so beautiful here.  I'm sure my family is sick of hearing me exclaim "oh my goodness...look at those colors."  I can't help myself.  It's also made me seek out trails that I know will have spectacular colors so I can keep on annoying my family.  Luckily they seem to dig it too.  

Halloween-

The kids get hyped about Halloween and I can't help but get caught up in it.  I like the creativity...coming up with costumes and finding ways to make them.  The girls want to be a pig vampire and a horse...no surprises there.  Decorating the house with silly witches and ghosts I've accumulated over the years, thanks to my mom.  We start planning for our Halloween party and of course bake some sugar cookies.  Good, messy fun.

Field Trips-

The return to school means more field trips.  I try to volunteer to go every opportunity.  Getting the chance to be a part of the world the girls are at most hours of the weekday.  Feeling fortunate to be a part of a school community that gets to participate in these types of activities.  Layla's was a trip to a local farm as they have been learning about farm to table this month.  Layla was in heaven getting to see and feed the pigs.  Even if part of the farm to table was learning that these pigs will eventually become food.  I'm not a pig or bacon fan, but I have to admit...when they brought the runt out and he scurried around squealing, even I was smitten with him.

Yes, I am quite taken with fall this year.  I will be sad to see it go but am sure I will quickly rebound with the first snowfall and thoughts of the holidays and cozy fireplace nights.  

Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment