Thursday, May 1, 2014

Birthdays.

I have taken a bit of a hiatus this past week or so and am thinking of extending it.  Part of it has been the chaos of some reconstruction at our house.  As a creature of habit and Type A personality I struggle when things are thrown out of wack.  I have tried to let it go-(this so makes me want to break into the Frozen song but the girls have begged me to quit singing it).  I think it is good for me to get out of my routine and comfort zone of having everything in a certain place.  It reminds me to breath and remember if things don't go the way I have planned, it is okay.  That being said, I am ready for my therapy session to be over and get back to normal.  Add to this has been birthday after birthday after Easter celebration and I am over it. Ready for things to slow down as we welcome spring.  More time for after dinner trips to the park, not moving furniture and tearing up carpet.  

The reason I'm thinking of extending my hiatus is because I think it is a good time to take a step back and see where I want this blog thing to go next.  I read some really negative and mean spirited comments on a popular blog I like to read.  I don't like to focus much on negativity, but something about it caught my attention.  This world of mommy-blogs and putting everything out there is fairly new.  The question asked is what will all these kids whose lives are being blasted all over the Internet think when they are older.  Now, I realize my audience is on a much smaller scale, but the thought was still valid.  Is it okay to put their lives all out there?  When I began I wanted to document our lives and expand on my writing hobby.  However, this can be done privately so what is the desire to hit the "post" button?  I do think it makes me stretch my writing when I know others may read it, I think more about how I string my words together.  I have thoughts on this and decided after this post, to take a little break from the blog world.  Writing and reading.  I find I get caught up in other peoples worlds from the few blogs I like to read regularly.  I want to take a few weeks to take a step back and re-evaluate.  

But first, I do feel compelled to gush on my other baby girl who just celebrated a birthday.  After doing that for Ava, I thought it appropriate to continue with little Miss Layla who turned seven...

This girl makes me laugh Every.  Single.  Day.  And she knows it.  Much like her daddy she loves to make a joke and get someone to laugh.  Whether it be a joke or simply being silly.  It is so hard to believe she is seven.  That seems so grown up.  I suddenly feel like our lives have been put on fast forward and I wish I could slow it down a bit.  I try to keep these feelings in check or it really stresses me out how far into this parenthood gig we are.  I so clearly remember those early baby years with her when she would scream and cry for 16 hours a day.  I would hold her and bounce on the bed for hours.  Then it seemed as if time was standing still.  Not totally fair that those hard baby years seem long and now these fun ages are going so fast.  I know, I know...all ages are fun...but I've really been digging where we are at with our girls.  Their growing independence, yet still desire to be close and with us.  

To celebrate Miss Things birthday we began with a monkey party with her friends.  Speaking of growing independence...this girl has quite a group of friends.  It's fun to sit back and watch.  
  
Layla pretty much planned her whole party.  She wanted a monkey theme, play pin the banana on the monkey and make banana splits.  This is exactly what we did.


The weather was gray and rainy, but we managed to run around outside.  I'm not sure why people throw elaborate parties....all kids need are a couple balloons-

And maybe some bubbles-

After a couple hours the party ended with a big hug for each friend.  Layla's personality draws people to her...she is open and funny.  This girl can try my patience like no other, but I wouldn't change a thing about her.  I see her always surrounded by a flurry of friends.

By the time we got to Layla's actual birthday I hate to admit, I was so over it.  Celebrations began the first weekend of April with a family party, and now we were in the last month of April and finally wrapping things up.  I love how they all went, and none were stressful.  We kept everything low-key and simple, I had just had enough.  But, I pulled on some extra mama strength to make her day special.  Because she's my baby and most certainly deserves to be celebrated.  It was a school day, so Matt and I took her to lunch and then I made her a special dinner followed by a scavenger hunt to find her gifts...

Since we don't get the girls a ton of gifts, I have found a scavenger hunt is a way to make only a few gifts a lot of fun.  I send them all over inside and out, searching for their presents, putting the riddles together. 

In the end we ended up getting Layla an American Girl doll.  I had mixed feelings on this. I think they are crazy expensive and after seeing one of their stores, a terrible example of American consumerism.  But, I looked back to my own childhood and how thrilled I was when I got my own Cabbage Patch Doll.  Seeing her happy face made all my opinions fly out the window.  I still think they are crazy expensive, but we don't splurge on a lot of toys so I'm happy with our decision.  And...FYI...I still have my Cabbage Patch Doll.

After gifts it was time for birthday singing and wishes on candles...

This girl was all smiles on her day.  So excited that it was her birthday.  She gets it that birthdays are kind-of a big deal.  

So that's that.  My girls are another year older.  Ready to rock year 7 and 9.  I can't help but say it one more time...my how time flies.  

Happy Thursday.  Be back later.  Or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment