Thursday, February 6, 2014

Distraction.

Lots of thoughts running through my head today.  I keep trying to ignore them instead of sorting through them.  It worked pretty well at first, but I don't think it is anymore.  You see, today is my sisters brain surgery day.  She went in early this morning and we have been patiently waiting for updates throughout the day.  Little pieces of hope that everything went okay.  The waiting game is tough.  I have a wide array of emotions.  I feel anxious, but also optimistic.  I feel hopeful, but also terrified.  The surgery part went well, but until we know she's still Kori I will continue to have these feelings.  I keep trying to remain positive and send those vibes all the way to Minnesota.  But, occasionally dark, scary thoughts creep into my head.  I have been saying a Kundalini healing meditation while wearing Matt's Rosary...probably sacrilegious, but spirituality and faith sort of go that way for me.  All I know is as I said the words "Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung" while thinking of her in an operating room, I felt peace that it would all be okay.  This will be her final road to recovery.  My heart believes this, now if I could just get my head to get fully on board.

To avoid my real feelings I have mastered the art of distraction today.  My house is spotless, after school snacks are out, dinner is prepped, I even made brownies for the kiddos for dessert.  If the weather wasn't so crappy I probably would have spent the morning running.  However, negative-twenty-something-ridiculous kept me indoors.  To continue my distraction I'm going to write about happy things.  

Things like having the gang back together...

The house is loud and messy again and I love it.  The noise helps with distraction.  These kids are awesome.

Before the house doubled in kids we celebrated my birthday weekend.  It was a mix of time with my girls, a night away with my man and a lovely lunch with my mama and sisters.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate my 36 years.  

First ice skating and warming up with cocoa.  Then kissing my babes goodbye and leaving them with Grandma.  

Heading up to Big Sky with Matt for some relaxation.  Best husband ever surprised me with a stay at the Rainbow Ranch which is a beautiful resort nestled in the mountains.  It makes having a February birthday worth it.  All cozy inside a beautiful room with two wood burning stoves and a soaking tub with snow all around outside.  Staying in except to make the run to the huge infinity hot tub.  Or to run across the street to the dive bar for beers and catching the middle of the Super Bowl.  We were only there for 24 hours, but it was perfect.  I said goodbye to 35 and felt incredibly grateful for where I am.

And one more bit of gushing on the snow before I rant about how crazy cold it has been. The day before we left there was a fresh layer of snow on the ground and I went for an early morning run before any snow was trampled.  It was beautiful...

The picture does not do it justice...it was glistening like diamonds, even in the air.  So lovely.  BUT, then the temps turned frigid and now I am so incredibly over winter.  I am sick of everything about it...the cold, the being stuck inside, wearing boots and jackets. I have got to find a way to get over this because spring is still so. very. long. away.  Boo.

Oh yea, I was talking happy things.

Future Fashionistas...

Whenever the girls play "mommy and baby"  I notice my shoes and purses begin to disappear from my closet.  Add cousin Kim and more go missing.  I smile as I see little girls clonking around in heels and carrying Coach purses as play purses.  My sisters and I used to play a similar version of this game, but we always called it playing "house".  Same concept...busy mamas raising baby dolls and shopping.  Although now I notice the girls are working mamas because the dolls have to go to school and they go to Starbucks a lot.  

And, always on my happy list...food of course.  Three of my favorite ingredients.  

I do believe any meal that starts with basil, mozzarella and tomatoes will be delicious.  This was no exception.  


It was a caprese quinoa bake and is definitely in my top ten.  This was another Pinterest find...you can see the recipe here.  Because it's quinoa instead of pasta it somehow feels better for you.  If you ignore the piles of melty, gooey cheese throughout it.  The difference for mine, is I made my own pasta sauce.  My pasta sauces tend to vary depending on what I have on hand.  For this one I sauteed some onions and garlic in olive oil for around 10-minutes.  Then add some diced carrots and cook around 5 more.  Add a can of diced tomatoes, s&p, a small spoonful of sugar and around a tsp of each of oregano, basil and marjoram.  Simmer for around an hour and then puree for a smooth sauce.  This is comfort food at its best.  

Well, this helped for another hour of distraction from my thoughts.  Fortunately it is just about time to go pick up the kids so I can continue to avoid any thoughts until we know more.  If you are reading this and don't mind, send a quick prayer or positive vibe to the Midwest.  Or both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment