Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fortune Tellers, M.A.S.H. & Other Happy Things.

The two week break is over.  Sadly, on Sunday night the backpacks came out of the closet, lunches were made and bedtimes were enforced.  Instead of a lazy Monday morning in pj's, everyone reluctantly got up and ready and out the door by 8 am.  This week we've been getting back into the groove of things.  As much as I loved the break, I'm a creature of habit who thrives on routine so part of me is happy things are returning to normal.  However, Sister's still gone so our new normal consists of two extra kids which adds a little chaos to our routine.  A couple more kids means longer homework routines and raises the general volume in our small house.  It also means more hugs at bedtime and a change from our usual dinner conversation.  It means a full on dance party and kids singing "What does the fox say?" at the top of their lungs.  It means a lot of laughs.  So even though it adds a little extra work and I'm left with zero motivation after they go to sleep, I totally love it.  It's a taste of larger family life, much different than our family of four dynamic.  

And, everything is more fun with cousins.  Things like getting ready for bed becomes a game of trying not to spit on anyones toothbrush while four kids use the same sink...

When there are four rather than two the games get more creative and easier.  Playing school becomes more fun when there is one teacher to three students.  And, I always get to play principle.  Speaking of games and school...remember the old fortune tellers from grade school?

Ava was supposed to make one with math facts for her homework.  After several attempts I became frustrated that I couldn't remember how to fold the dang thing when I probably had made hundreds of them between 4th and 6th grade.  After Ava's suggestion to "Just Google it Mom!" it all came flooding back to me.  The math one was fun for awhile, but then I showed them the way we used to make them and soon each kid had me making one for them and fortunes were told all night long followed by endless giggles.  It was awesome. Inspired by their enthusiasm for this simple game in a YouTube world, tonight I introduced the old M.A.S.H. game.  You know, the one...Mansion, Apartment, Shack, House, etc.  This one also was met with lots of laughs especially when Greg's future said he would have 1,000 kids and live in a shack, but he'd be a football player living in Greenbay.  It makes me happy to bring these old games to a new generation.  These four make me smile.  A lot.

Other things I'm liking a lot right now-

My girl losing her first top tooth...

She's lost a couple bottom ones, but a top one changes her smile.  And adds a little lisp that I find adorable.  She was so excited to leave her tooth for the fairy and had notes all ready for her.  And then Matt and I had one of our bigger parental failures.  We forgot.  We had spent the evening at our friends, laughing and having a good ole time.  We came home late and put tired girls to bed.  We told ourselves we'd let her fall asleep and then go do our tooth fairy duties.  Bad, bad parents fell asleep.  I woke up the next morning when I heard Ava get up, sat straight up and realized what we had done.  I rushed and grabbed Ava and brought her to bed with me, telling her I wanted snuggles while Matt ran to make the tooth/money exchange, both of us hoping she had forgotten to check.  Of course she hadn't.  I could tell by the look in her eyes that she had checked and instead of money had found her tooth.  She wouldn't tell us though...she said she forgot to check and went back to watching morning cartoons.  On a commercial we encouraged her to go see and she came back all smiles with two bucks and the note I managed to scribble as fast as I could while she was watching her show.  Thank goodness for the innocence of a child who hasn't been tainted by a cynical world...she believed the fairy came that morning and all was right with the world.  I may have added to this a bit when I told her I thought I'd heard something in her room.  It was the least I could do after such an epic fail.  The poor girl is losing teeth so slow and we go and screw up the tooth fairy.  Geez.  

She really wanted to spend her $2.00 on hot cocoa at Barnes & Noble.  Thanks to the guilt Matt and I were feeling, I'm pretty sure we would have let her do anything she wanted that day.  Sweet girl even told Layla that if hot cocoa was only a dollar she would buy her one too.  Turns out hot cocoa is $2.75 so we told her we'd buy Layla's and cover the difference for hers.  Again, at this point we would have probably bought her the coffee shop to make ourselves feel better.  Luckily she was satisfied with the cocoa.

One last thing I'm liking...my new pasta maker-

Now I can make pasta for days!  No more rolling the dough flat until my arms are exhausted and then rolling, slicing, unrolling, laying out, repeat.  Now it's just run it through the pasta roller a couple times and then through the cutter and viola...beautiful, perfect pasta.  For this pasta loving family this is the Best. Thing. Ever.  

That's all.  I wasn't sure if I had the motivation for this tonight, I sort of pushed myself to do it and as usual I'm glad I did.  I can't crash on the couch every night by 8pm, that's lame.  Although I do believe that is exactly what January is for.  Resting and rejuvenating for the new year.  And my idea of rest and rejuvenation occasionally  usually means vegging on the couch for a "New Girl" binge on Netflix.  

Happy Thursday to ya.  

No comments:

Post a Comment