Sunday, January 26, 2014

For the Love of the Weekend.

I wrote this evening while the Grammy's went on in the background so apologize ahead of time if it's a little scattered...I kept getting pulled into performances.  And, on a side note the performance by Pink and Fun. was awesome.  Love that song.  And Imagine Dragons...rocked it.  Love that song too.  

Anyways. 

So much for quiet weekends of January.  This is the last one of the month and we filled it up.  But it wasn't in a crazy, too much way...it was in a how lucky we are to spend a full weekend of activity together.  A weekend that began spring like and ended with a cold snowy Sunday.  You know it's going to be a good one when it begins with flowers...
Their beautiful smell fills our house and with their tropical look, lilies are probably one of my favorite flowers.  No matter what type of flower, they always make me happy.  Especially because they are a reminder of how lucky I am that after many, many years together my hubby still brings me flowers often.  Yup, he's a keeper.  

Saturday opened with bright blue skies.  The air was still crisp but the warm sun on your face felt wonderful.  We had a birthday party in the morning and then it was the return of horse back riding lessons for Ava...
  
Which also meant the return of me aging just a little faster during the hour she is on this animal.  I watch her up there with a mix of worry and pride.  The worry subsides when I see her huge smile after completing something new.  I don't ever want my fear to squash her love of this, but man couldn't she have a deep passion for kittens instead of horses??  No one ever got hurt by kittens.  I think as long as we stick with the basics, I'll be okay...if she starts getting into jumping or things of that sort I don't know what I'll do.  

For Ava, I don't think Saturday could have gotten any better because after lessons she was off to a birthday party with friends.  This gave us some time with just the little one and all she wanted to do was go to a park.  I think spring fever is hitting her like it hits her mama.

As the girls are growing up there are more opportunities for one on one time with each kid.  Between individual activities and play dates with friends we occasionally find ourselves with only one girl.  It's interesting.  I like the time to really focus in on one of them...no fighting, no competing for attention.  It's an opportunity to learn a little more about one of my girls.  But, like Matt said when we were at the park "When do we get Ava back?  It feels off without her".  I do have the feeling we aren't quite complete when one is away.  

I soaked up some more time with just Layla as we walked a few streets over to where Ava was at the party.  Matt stayed home for this one, so it was only me and my baby girl.  The weather was perfect for an afternoon walk and I swear everyone was out enjoying it.  That is one thing about Bozeman...we do not take a nice day for granted.  If the weather warms up to over 40-degrees in January and the sun is out, people will be outside taking advantage.  Layla brought her "magic" key so our conversation took a turn to wishes, fairies and flying magical pigs.  It was a lovely chat.  I savored the moment and it lasted until we started the walk home with Ava and as she animatedly told us all about the party, Layla pouted behind us saying "I want to talk about pigs again".  Oh, how I love these girls.  

To wrap up our Saturday we made pizzas, rented movies and stayed home.  We make pizza often at our house.  The toppings tend to be the same...lots of mozzarella, garlic stuffed olives and artichoke hearts.  I was feeling bored with this, so added spinach and caramelized onions this time.  It was a good decision...

The caramelized onions added the right amount of sweetness to the spice in my sauce.  Mmmm.  I love pizza night.  (I'll put recipes at the end)

The plan for Sunday was to head to Norris Hot Springs with friends, but the giant snowflakes started coming down that morning changed our plans.  Plan B was lunch out with said friends, working on the girls Science Fair project and staying warm with hot cocoa .  This is the first year the girls are doing the Science Fair at their school.  Their project is what will rot first...a store bought or homemade banana muffin.  They have both been really into it...checking the muffins each day and writing down their observations.  Today we started putting it all together and it's coming along.  I dig this age we are at.  School age kids, working on projects that we can actually still help them with.  Watching their little brains work and grow.  It is awesome.

This week will be my last week of being 35.  Then I tip dangerously close to my late thirties.  Ugg...that sounds so much worse than mid-thirties.  I actually don't get caught up in the aging thing much, but it feels like my thirties are going way too fast.  I suppose instead of thinking about that, I'll just concentrate on celebrating my birthday week.  I'm good at that.  

Hope your week is fantastic.

Pizza Sauce and Dough Recipes:

Pizza Sauce-
-1 small can tomato paste
-around a tbls of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
-couple tbls of honey
-couple cloves of minced garlic
-s&p
-around a 1/2 tsp of oregano, basil, marjoram, onion powder & 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper & red pepper flakes
-warm water (adjust how much you need to your desired thickness of sauce)
Mix all the above together and let sit for around 1/2 hour so the flavors can blend (you can refrigerate and use later)


Dough-(I double this to make two pizzas)
Mix 2 tbls sugar and 3/4 cup warm water together in a bowl.  Add one package active dry yeast and let rest 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 tbls olive oil, 2 tsp salt and begin to add flour...around one cup at a time. Once in starts to form a ball, put in on a lightly floured surface and knead more flour in until it gets smooth and elastic.  Around 6-8 minutes.  Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise around 1 1/2 hour.  

Heat a pizza stone in a 450-degree oven.  Carefully add a rolled out piece of dough on the stone after your've sprinkled the stone with corn meal so it won't stick.  Cook just the dough around 7-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with sauce and goodies and cook around 10 more minutes.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment