Sunday, October 27, 2013

More Fall Love and Halloween Part 1.

The wind is howling.  Blowing in a winter storm with a promise of snow.  Earlier today I was wearing a tank top and flip flops taking in the glorious fall day.  

Gotta love Montana weather. 

After a busy week this weekend was a breath of fresh air.  Last week I worked more than usual so the juggling act felt a little trickier.  It's weeks like that I throw more appreciation to all the full time working mamas out there.  It's hard work.  You simply can't do it all so some things gotta give.  The hardest part for me during a hectic week like that is the transitions.  Our mornings are always smooth and I drop my babes at school and head to the office.  It's the leaving work and trying to shift from that mode to mommy mode that is difficult for me.  On my stay at home mommy days I generally stroll to pick up the kids from school, we walk leisurely home where an already prepared snack is waiting for them.  We take our time doing homework and then start on dinner and everything feels calm.  I can't keep that calm on a working week like last.  Snack consists of whatever is left from their lunchbox, homework is done in the car on the way to tap class and dinner is pizza on the way home.  This isn't a bad thing and the girls probably don't notice any difference.  I can feel it though.  As relaxed as I try to stay, I can't help but feel everything is rushed and there are not enough hours in the day to get it all done.  It makes me feel grateful I have the opportunity to only work part time, so weeks like that are few and far between.  It didn't help that this week was so beautiful.  Blue skies and warm temperatures.  It was brutal to be stuck inside and not even be able to walk to pick the girls up.  I did manage one day to rush home just so I could walk to get them.  That ten minutes of walking to the school really helped with the transition of going from work to parent mode.  Fresh air is an amazing thing.  That day we brought a couple extra girls for our walk home...

I grew up out of town so never had the neighborhood friend experience.  I was always jealous of friends who could simply walk over to their neighbors for a play date.  Watching these four giggling girls run ahead on the way to the park made me smile.  Budding friendships, whispers, laughter.  These are the moments.  

I welcomed the weekend with open arms.  Saturday was our annual Halloween party with our family and friends.  Ten years ago we moved into our house right before Halloween so we ended up having a Halloween/house warming party.  That year it was a little crazy.  But, it was the fun kind of crazy and it became a tradition.  A tradition where we have added another kiddo here and there throughout the years.  I make a couple pots of chili, pumpkin pie from our garden pumpkins, everyone dresses up, kids run around wild, adults chat and laugh and fun is had by all.  Actual Halloween is all about the kids and trick or treating, so this party is fun because the adults get to get in on the dress-up action.  And, who doesn't love a good costume?  We had some good ones this year.

Big Bang Theory fans will love this one...(Plus a mummy and an adorable Medusa)

Most creative goes to sister with her gumball machine belly... 

Rosie the Riveter and 70-s Man...


One cutie nephew referee...


A scary black cat...



Other sister, the ultimate Bears fan, and her hubby...Julian from Trailer Park Boys



Steve in my little nephews fireman costume because he neglected to come in one...



A couple of witches...

A cutie pie Minnie Mouse and the actual fireman...


As the years have gone by and we have grown, our house feels very full at the party.  And, it's funny because everyone gathers around the dining room table and the kitchen.  No one makes it to the couch or other living room furniture.  We all squish together around the food and drinks while kids run in and out.  There's lots of commotion and I don't ever feel like I have a full conversation with anyone, but I love it.  

The kids ran around the yard in the dark in search of pumpkins...

Had egg races...

 And listened to the older girls tell ghost stories before we headed on a spooky walk in the neighborhood to the creepy house down the street....

Yes, it was a lovely evening indeed.  They are no longer the wild parties they were back in the day.  Now we all go home at a decent hour and I'm pretty sure we all feel a lot better the next day than we used to.    

Besides the party the only other thing that went on this weekend was enjoying the glorious weather before the snow.  I went a bit camera happy with photos because I could not get over the lights and colors of our valley.  I am having a serious love affair with fall right now.  My heart still belongs to summer, but I am loving this right now.

At the park-


The sun, the bright blue sky, the gold trees...are you kidding me?!  




On my runs I seriously stop, take my phone out of my armband to snap shots because I can't get over the beautiful leaves in the neighborhood.  Any excuse for a break on a run, right?

On a walk up Peet's Hill with the family-


There's that sun streak again...just begging to be photographed-

I'm glad to have soaked it up this weekend because the way the wind is howling I do believe we will wake up in the morning to bare trees.  Fall will be shifting subtly into winter.  The gold and reds will be replaced with white snow.  I will miss these colors.  I'm kinda like a crazy person about them.  Can't quite get enough.

This week will be a very exciting one.  There is of course Halloween so we have two very excited girls.  Ready for class parties, more costumes and trick or treating with cousins.  I'm looking forward to that, but there is more excitement headed to our family this week.  A little gumball will be making an appearance.  More on that later.  

Hope your week is happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment