Thursday, June 6, 2013

Spring Time Happies.

After a few days of cool temperatures and grey, rainy skies the sun finally returned.  Something about the warm days and everything so green from all the rain has made me giddy with happiness.  It feels beautifully, wonderfully summer-like.  This makes me smile very much.  I found this in Ava's backpack today, apparently she feels the same...

I suppose anyone would love a season when you can eat an ice cream as big as half your body size.  

Every time I write I feel like I could make a list of things I'm feeling happy about, but that wouldn't be very interesting.  However, it seems as if it has been awhile so tonight I'm doing it.  A list of spring-turning-into-summer Happies.  Here we go.

1.  A Morning Hike/Run.
Not a bad view, huh
Instead of my usual run this morning I decided to take advantage of these last few days of school with a hike instead.  Next week is the last week of school for the girls so opportunities like this will be a little harder to come by.  A solitary, quiet hike up to the top and running down with just the sound of birds and the jingle of Sadi's collar.  She's a good solitary hiking buddy...she doesn't say much.  No complaining that her legs hurt or that she's hungry.  We push up the mountain and fly down.
Much to Matt's dismay, I am still rockin the purple shades.
It has taken me a long time this school year to come to terms with both girls being in school full time. I felt sad a lot, the house seemed so empty.  I scrambled to figure out my place now that full time mama wasn't my total job description.  With just a week left before I get that coveted role back I'm happy to say I found my way with it.  I remembered things that I enjoyed doing just for me.  Things that didn't revolve around nap time, feeding another human being or the PBS cartoon schedule.  I found that if I wanted to have lunch at 2 in the afternoon and it consisted of Doritos and cottage cheese that was okay because I didn't need to fill a plate with more appropriate lunch type things.  I found that a hike alone up a mountain with the big blue sky overhead may not fulfill me as much as a little girl saying "I love you mommy" for no reason in particular, but it still makes me happy.  I feel content with it all.  I felt that along with full on happiness as I looked up at the mountainside full of flowers...

And, I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't help but sing a bit of Tom Petty while running down the mountain..."You belong among the wildflowers, you belong someplace you feel freeeeee."  Don't worry I didn't sing aloud...didn't want to ruin the peacefulness for others.

2.  One Week Left of School.  Just because I found my way this school year does not mean I am not ecstatic to have just one week until my babies are home for the summer.  We are all so ready for it.  Lazy days of summer, here we come.  Days of going to parks, eating ice cream, picnics, lots of swimming, family hikes, camping and of course spending as much time with cousins as we can.  I know sometimes Matt feels a little jealous (may not be the right word for it, but something like that)...about our summer days. He has to get up and go to work while we get to throw on flip flops and laze about.  However, I feel after the hard part of being a stay at home mom, ie...breastfeeding, endless diaper changing, tantrums, struggling to get an overtired toddler and newborn to nap at the same time for a moment of peace, fights, etc, etc, that now is the pay off.  I put in the looooong days where it was all I could do to brush my teeth and put on clean yoga pants without spit up on them, so now I get the days of backyard pool parties.  

On top of this it is also a break from early bedtimes, homework and making lunches.  I am so freakin sick of making cold lunches...poor girls they have had a PB sandwich, carrot sticks, goldfish and almonds everyday for the past month because I have lost all creativity.  One more week then it's no more school, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks.

3.  My Guy's Birthday.  Tomorrow is Husbands birthday.  I love birthdays and love them even more when I get to help make them special.  This is evident from the girls birthday parties...I try so hard to make them special because I think they deserve to have a day all about them.  I feel the same about Matt's.  It has taken him awhile to get used to my crazy birthday ways, but he's fully on board now.  He's even taken to calling it his birthday week and looking for extra attention.  Well done, babe...you've figured it out.  The girls have been busy making gifts and I love, love, love the rocks they painted for his garden...

We were trying to come up with something they could make for him.  He already has a ton of pictures they've colored or painted.  I was rummaging around the backyard searching for inspiration and saw a pile of big river rocks.  We got out Ava's nice new paints from her birthday and voila...gift done.  I even got in on it and painted a love rock.    My gift for him is I'm surprising him with a weekend away.  I found a little cabin in the Paradise Valley and we are leaving the girls for a sleepover at Grandma's and getting out of town.  Just the two of us.  It's been awhile.  We've had the opportunity a lot lately to go out without kiddos but we've always been with others.  I love going out with friends and family and getting to go do these social things, but I have been really wanting some one on one time so that is what we are doing.  Disconnecting from the real world and reconnecting with one another.  He's my favorite person over 4-foot tall to hang out with so I'm looking forward to it.  I also did some baking for him today....

Homemade strawberry cake.  It screams summer and it smelt heavenly as it cooked in the oven today.  He's a tricky one to bake for because he doesn't have a sweet tooth like I do.  The last few years I've done strawberry cupcakes but wanted to branch out this year.  I "manned" up his usual pink cupcake birthday dessert with a strawberry cake.  Ha.  I found this recipe on the Smitten Kitchen website.  Which, by the way, is my all time favorite name for a food blog.  

4.  Ice Cream Truck.  A couple of weeks ago the ice cream truck cruelly showed up right in front of the girls school at pick up time.  You can imagine the amount of begging, pleading and whining coming out of kids as they left school.  All the parents giving exasperated looks over the kids because either they didn't have time to get an after school treat, didn't have any money with them to get it or simply didn't want to hop their kids up with sugar a couple hours before bedtime.  I was one of the moms without any cash.  Who needs a wallet to run to the school?  Anyways, the girls got over it quickly when they knew it was useless to beg because that wouldn't make money appear.  As soon as we got home Ava went to her piggy bank, put money in a wallet and put it in her back pack so she would be "prepared for next time and I got some for Layla too."  I was impressed with her forethought and for thinking of her sister.  Weeks went by and many a sunny day, but no ice cream truck.  Finally, finally today he showed up.  


Happy, messy, ice cream filled girls on the lawn after school.  Happy mama.

5.  Summer-Like Nights.  Right now it is almost 8:30 and I am sitting outside writing.  The sun is sinking, the birds are chirping, there is a scent of fresh cut grass and I'm in shorts.  Happiness.

Enjoy a beautiful Friday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment