Sunday, June 30, 2013

Big, Fat, Summer-Type Things Post...

This past week we crammed a lot of summer in.  It's like the weather warmed and we went crazy.  Behaved like tourists here on vacation taking advantage of all our lovely area has to offer.  Speaking of our lovely city, if you didn't catch my last post or all my Facebook promotion (sorry, I was excited!)  I wrote an essay about Bozeman and a magazine website published it.  We celebrated this on Friday with a little bubbly...


Seeing my name on there as a contributor made me feel giddy inside.  If you haven't had a chance and want to check it out go here.  

We had cousins here for the week.  I figure the more the merrier and we did it up.

Hiking....little rockstars made it to the top of the "M" like it was nothin'.  

Splashing...all helping one another to cross to the other side of Bozeman Creek.  No man left behind.  Love their camaraderie.  

Lots of ice cream at the Farmer's Market....
 And we threw in a dash of rock climbing....

And added in a couple more cousins for a pool party...

These kids are awesome.  They have been raised together since they were all babies and just flow together more sibling like than cousins.  Of course there is the occasional fighting and leaving someone out, but for the most part they have fun, look out for one another and are quite the pack.  Love it.

The weekend came with one of my favorite activities.  Have I mentioned lately how much I love camping?  Yea, there may have been some whining last weekend about not getting to go and I may have got my way this weekend and got to head to the mountains yesterday.  I think at the end of a long week Matt and I sometimes have different versions of a perfect weekend.  He's usually been on the road all week and the idea of getting back in the car is the furthest from his mind.  I, on the other hand, have usually been home most of the week and am itching to get out.  During the winter months I'm cool with laying a little low, but because we have so few summer weekends here I tend to be a tad more persistent about it.  Luckily Matt is good natured and goes with it.  And, in the end I know he loves it to.  How could you not...
If you look close you can see little girls exploring in the woods behind.  
To me camping is getting away from everything.  It's only having what we can fit in the Subaru to get by for the weekend.  It's going where there is no cell service.  This is a big one.  Often even when we are outside hiking or camping or playing at the river it's so easy to snap a photo and post it to Instagram or Facebook.  It's easy to check back later, see what's going on with friends.  It might be a minute here or a few there, a quick text message.  Those minutes add up.  When there is zero service you get to completely disconnect.  This is blissful.  To only use my phone for the purpose of snapping photos.  Although, ironically the "quote" app I have on my phone popped through today.  The quote was 
"Peace is to be found only within and unless one finds it there he will never find it at all.  Peace lies not in the external world, it lies within ones soul"  -Ralph Trine.  
I agree with this, but also believe peace can be found in the external world.  I believe if you aren't at peace within yourself you may not be able to see it.  I found a lot of peace this weekend.  

I found it in sunsets after a rainstorm while sitting by a campfire...

And sunrises in the early morning...

My absolute favorite time when camping is the morning.  Nothing, nothing smells better than the fresh smell of mornings in the mountains.  

I found it in chilly Montana creeks...


I found it while watching little girls make fairy houses for the  "camping fairies" to have.  Layla's included a flower petal remote control.  And a trampoline.  This fairy was hooked up.  

I found it in cooking everything over the fire.  Food just tastes better this way...
I threw everything in foil before we left.  Three separate things...salmon, potatoes and veggies.  Each got drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and various herbs.  Throw on the hot fire, sip a beer and voila...dinner.  

And finally I found a lot of peace when taking a few moments to myself this morning to sit by the stream and just breath in.  And out.  

Like anything there has to be moments without peace, even when camping.  Ours came in the way of massive thunderstorms.  And some rain.  Luckily I had thrown in some card games.  We spent a good couple hours in the tent playing UNO...


It poured for awhile then stopped.  We went outside to try to restart the fire and within 15 minutes it started again and we were back in the tent.  This time around it didn't feel quite as fun and we began to wonder if we would be able to have a fire or if our salmon was going to become a sushi dinner instead.  Luckily this time when the rain stopped we opened the tent to beautiful blue skies.  Not only did we get to cook dinner over the fire, but smore's too...

Even with the rain it was a glorious weekend of camping.  We came home smelling of campfire, tired from all the fresh air and dirty from a weekend exploring the woods and playing in the creek.  Happy.  Refreshed.  Peaceful.  Exhausted.

June is over.  July, we're totally ready for ya.  

No comments:

Post a Comment