Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Day of Spring & One Year Anniversary...

Today is the first day of spring.  We welcomed it in proper Montana fashion with dark grey clouds and a cold front on its way.  However, I have my pop of spring right here...

Matt brought these beauties home for me yesterday and they were all closed up.  I think they were waiting to make their debut today.  Here we don't really see spring for a couple of months.  There will be teases...days when you can wear short sleeves and the sun will kiss your cheeks with promises of warm weather to come.  But, like any good tease they will be brief.  Followed by wet snow and cold temperatures that make you feel like you are still firmly in winter.  Yesterday was one such tease as the sun was out and I walked to pick up the girls from school.  On the way home the girls were running up to trees, checking to see if they were budding yet.  We did see buds on trees...but it will still be awhile before they open in all their green leaf glory.  I'm going to try to approach spring differently this year.  I tend, like most who live here, to get really antsy for real spring weather.  Now, don't get me wrong...I am physically aching for warm weather, green grass and flip flop season...but I know that won't bring it here any quicker.  I spent a couple days right after we got back from Florida really bummed out about the weather.  The snowstorm we woke up to on Sunday did not help this.  It had me googling real estate in southwest Florida.  Today is dark, only a few spots of ugly melted snow, sad looking trees and brown grass.  Very easy to stay in that depressed-why-do-we-live here mood.  I choose not to go there.  I choose instead to see the yellow daffodils on my table...hinting at the promise of what is to come.  To soak up these grey days by cooking comfort food...
Homemade pasta anyone??
Stay inside and finish home improvement projects that are still floating in my head...


Ever since we painted a couple kitchen walls "exotic sea"  I've been wanting to add something to the back of my shelves.  I looked at wall paper, contact paper, tiles, fabric...not finding the right thing.  I wanted something with hints of turquoise, green and red with a Mediterranean feel.  Finally I was strolling through World Market and came across these cloth napkins I just loved.  I bought all they had with visions of a quick project of pinning and double stick tape to get them up.  It turned into a weekend project of Matt cutting, hammering, swearing and finally finishing Sunday evening.  I really didn't intend for it to be a project for him and for it to take so long.  He's a trooper...he takes my vision and actually makes it look good, not like a Kindergarten craft project.  I will stick with smaller things like spraying painting wine bottles to use as vases...
Thank you Pinterest for inspiration as usual.
I'm going to enjoy our chilly spring by taking advantage of indoor activities like going to the museum and taking in the new exhibit...
The only spiders I like


Checking out the new planetarium show
We have a great museum here and thanks to Grandma have had a membership the last couple of years.  It's a good spot to spend a cold Sunday afternoon exploring.  Come summer, it goes to the bottom of our list except for the occasional rainy day so we need to sneak a few more trips in.  

This spring I will find the beauty in the grey.  

Onto something else that is exciting.  This is probably just exciting to me, but whatever. Today marks the one year anniversary of me starting this blog.  One year, 94 posts and 7,222 page views later.  I have always written...a diary I hid from my sisters as a kid, a journal through my twenties, baby books in my early thirties and for the last couple of years typing.  It took me awhile to decide to put it in blog form, but last year at this time I took the leap.  I am happy I did.  There have been times this past year I've written to make myself feel better or clear my head, times it was just to chronicle a weekend, times to get the word out about my sister and times when I didn't have anything to say so simply tried to come up with some random topic.  I have gone back and forth in my head about it.  Sometimes thinking it's silly and I should stop, times I really loved it and loved hearing nice things people would say.  When it comes down to it, I really enjoy doing it for me.  I try to always be honest, write true to myself and not edit what I'm saying to please anyone else.  Because I feel I've been able to accomplish this, I'm gonna keep going with it.  I always told myself, if I ever find myself not using my own voice and worrying about what others would think it would be time to stop.  This is supposed to be something to keep memories of my family and my girls...something for them to read one day and remember pieces of their childhood.  Remember the fun things we did and what kind of mom/woman I was.  I think it has evolved into something I feel proud of.  It continues to not only be a space for memories but a place of "therapy" for me...along with running and cooking.  Happy Anniversary little blog.

Spring for us is full of celebration.  Easter and birthdays make it a busy time.  Last night we brought out our little box of Easter goodies...

It's not the five tubs we have full of Christmas decorations, but it's a little something to get us excited about the holiday.  I like Easter.  Who am I kidding, I love all holidays.  I like dyeing eggs, playing the Easter bunny and the simplicity of it.  It's not quite as hyped up as Christmas, hence the one tub versus five.  It's a quiet morning of excited girls searching for eggs and then an afternoon with family.  It's not a bunch of gifts, it's the hunt for eggs with little treasures in them.  It's pretty pastel dresses and chicks and bunnies.  Of course I appreciate the holiday for what it is really about and make sure my kids understand that as well.  After Easter we will be in party planning mode for two little girls who are about to turn 6 and 8.  Crazy!

We're not Irish, but we did a little St. Patty's day celebrating.  It has never meant much to me...maybe going out for green beers.  I certainly never did anything with the kids beyond putting them in green on March 17th.  But then Ava started school.  She came home on St. Patricks day in Kindergarten full of stories how the leprechaun made a mess of their classroom and left them all gold coin treasures and could we "please, please, pretty please" leave a bed and treats for the leprechaun next year so he would visit us?  Thinking she would forget by the next year I said yes, but this little girl does not forget.  St. Patricks Day Eve she was gathering blankets and books and leaving goodies for the freakin leprechaun.  Now she has Layla in on the action and so we just have fun with it.  They both wrote notes for him (her?  does anyone really know?) this year...
Last year I put green food coloring in the toilet...it left an impression on her obviously because this year she requested he "pee" in the toilet.

Layla really loves the guy
 Playing the leprechaun is totally fun...we flipped over furniture, turned photos upside down and scattered chocolate coins on the floor...

That mischievous little guy even put bananas on our lights...




Oh, it's fun to be a parent...the things we get to do.

Happy first day of spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment