Sunday, February 10, 2013

Memories...Past and Present.

We spent hours today watching family videos.  A couple weeks ago I finally took our old video tapes to get converted to DVD.  Something I've wanted to do for ages, but never did.  One of those things you think about, but don't follow through on.  I am oh so happy I did.  The girls were captivated watching their little tiny baby selves.  Giggling at the adorable things they would say in toddler hood.  Seeing their cousins and friends as babies.  Greg with his fire red hair, Dru and Ava- not even two years old jumping on her toddler bed and Jaelyn...now a very grown up teenager as an adorable 5 year old.  We only got a few DVDs in and I can't wait to watch more of them.  It takes me back.  It makes me long for those baby days, yet feel grateful for how far we've come.  Those days were amazing, but it's funny how much of a day care center our house looked like.  High chair in the corner, tiny newborn Layla in a bouncy seat, baby Kim in the exersaucer and Greg and Ava running around with their chubby legs in just diapers and t-shirts.  That was my life then...fully immersed in kiddos.  I think there were times when I was in it that it was overwhelming.  Looking back at it, it seems like the greatest time ever.  I am so happy to have those memories captured for our family.  (Except for my running commentary...I could do without some of my high pitched baby talk.  The girls thought it was funny tho).  The past couple of years I have not been as good about taking video.  This is why I am so thankful to  be keeping memories through writing and photos now.  It's not just me home with the girls all day to capture memories.  We are apart more than together it seems...more separate experiences.  Not as many video opportunities.  Which is why capturing our memories with words is so precious to me.  

In the spirit of capturing memories, our weekend...

Weekends officially begin for us when I pick up the girls from school on Friday.  Besides a little homework to get out of the way, we have nothing that has to get done.  No lunches to be made or back packs readied for the next day.  I put lunch boxes and back packs away.  Out of sight until Sunday afternoon.  This day I wanted to try out my new ice cream maker.  I wasn't too sure about making our own.  I figured getting it at DQ or Pickle Barrel was just fine.  Wrong I was.  Making your own was not only easy, it was delicious.  
See how hard we were working?
Starting with basic vanilla seemed like the best way to go.  Not too much to mess up.  You can tell by the look on these girls faces how well it turned out...
Topped with hot fudge of course.
Next time we'll be more adventurous.  The evening continued with movie night with my ladies...
Watched "Mirror Mirror"  I love me some Julia Roberts...even as an evil queen
And then a date night with my hubby...

Open face tuna sandwiches and caprese Bites.  So, so, so good.  It's been awhile since I've made the tuna.  It's so simple, but so wonderful.  (I'll put the recipe at the bottom)  I couldn't decide what to do as a side...what would compliment it well.  I was going to do fried caprese (tomato, mozzarella and basil, breaded and fried), but didn't really feel like frying.  I took inspiration from the wonderful spinach artichoke won tons my sister makes and simply put the three ingredients in a won ton wrapper, stuck them in a mini muffin tin and baked at 350-degrees until browned and bubbly.  They were the perfect side to the tuna.  It all tasted a bit like a summer day.  Something I've been longing for lately.  I love at home date nights.  A weekend away with just Matt like last weekend is amazing, don't get me wrong.  However, I have such a sense of calm knowing my girls are sound asleep in their own beds with us near if they need anything.  

The rest of the weekend was full of Valentine type things.  Both girls needed to make homemade Valentines for school and Ava needed to make a mail box for hers as well.  This spiraled into more.  Anyone who has read the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books will understand this....If you give two girls some craft materials to make Valentines for school, they're gonna wanna make some for their cousins, and each other, and their grandma's and the cat.  I get it.  I got the craft stuff out and if you give a mama some crafts she'll end up making a Valentine's scavenger hunt for little girls to do later this week.  
Working so hard writing friends names from the list
Filling them with Swedish Fish
 Voila...
The finished products.  Thank you Pinterest for our inspiration
 Valentine making overflowing into Sunday...

We are all set for the holiday of love.  I'm excited for it.  I get to help with Ava's class party, decorating cupcakes.  I haven't been able to help in Ava's class as much this year.  I guess 2nd graders don't need as much.  Also, in her class they have a "room mom"  a new concept to me.  This is someone who plans all the class parties and decided which other parents will help with these activities.  Apparently it is competitive to get to volunteer to help in there.  I suppose this is a good thing.  We live in a community where there are more parent volunteers than are needed.   Either way, I'm glad I get the opportunity to be there.  And to make strawberry cupcakes.  Don't worry Matt...I'll leave you one.

We capped off the weekend with the most amazing dinner tonight.  Sesame Ginger Sweet Teriyaki Salmon with Ginger Quinoa Stir-Fry...phew, big name.


Okay, this was uh-maz-ing.  A wonderfully sweet glaze on the salmon and fresh veggies stir fried with quinoa.  I wish I could say this was my creation, but I found it on Pinterest.  Find the recipe here.  Make it, eat it, love it.  

It was such a nice, mellow weekend.  Small moments that make the best memories.  Watching the home videos makes me realize how many of those moments we do forget.  We forget until something like that brings them back.  I'm so thankful for videos, photos and this blog to keep bringing these memories back.  I end with one hilarious moment, that if I didn't document I'm sure we would forget.  Something that had both Matt and I laughing so hard.  It went something like this...

Scene:  Girls are getting ready for bed, Matt and I are hanging out in our room.  They come in and we're all goofing around on the bed...
Me:  "Go brush your teeth"
Matt:  "Yea, get out of here I want to make a baby with your mama"
Layla:  "I wanna watch"
Ava:  "I wanna help"

We are screwing them up one day at a time.

Have a happy week.  Make some memories.  

Open Face Tuna Sandwich
Start with good quality tuna steaks.  This is important with seafood...you do get what you pay for
Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and some herbes de provence (Italian type seasoning)
Set aside while you prepare a few other things...you don't want to over cook the tuna
-Slice some ciabatta or other yummy bread, drizzle with some olive oil and put on a baking sheet ready to broil
-Mix 1 cup mayo with some finely diced sweet pickles.  Season with a little s&p and refrigerate until ready to use.  This is your topping
-Slice some cheese, so it is ready to melt on the tuna.  (I use a sharp white cheddar)
-Grill the tuna and broil the bread until slightly browned.  Just before the tuna is done, remove and put on top of the bread in the oven.  Top with the cheese and finish cooking until cheese melts.  Top with arugula and the sweet pickle relish.  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment