Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks.

I did it.  I finally finished adding all the photos back into this blog.  For that I am thankful!!  Don't worry, I'll have bigger thanks for this holiday but in this moment I am SO thankful to be DONE adding photos back in.  I did not add all 500+ back in...I just couldn't do that.  In fact I cringed every time I went into an an old post and read "a story better told with photos than words"  (maybe I use too many pics to tell my stories?)  What I did do was go through each post, add a few photos to complete the story and deleted the black boxes that were left.  Phew.  Done.  End of that...I will be much more careful about deleting things from here on out.  

Now...on to real Thanksgiving type things.  The girls didn't have school today.  Although the majority of the day they spent playing "school".  I get it.  My sisters and I used to play school all the time...we even had a chalkboard.  In between the playing I had Thanksgiving Eve plans...baking, cooking and making some turkey-type crafts.  The cool, grey day was perfect for these indoor cozy things.  We did it up right by staying in pj's all day as well.  Thanksgiving is a holiday right up my alley...all about food.  I would love to host the whole thing for my family and spend days cooking a delicious turkey meal.  However, this tradition still lays with my parents so I get baking pies and for the second time I also make a turkey to bring.  (This is because I always end up with a free Hutterite turkey through our grocery store and I feel much better eating it if I know where it came from.  It's a "happy" turkey)  Today was my baking day...pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake and some coffee cake for breakfast.  The beginning...

For me baking does not always go fantastic.  It's sometimes hit and miss.  Today the crust of the pie burnt a bit,  the pumpkin cheesecake cracked on top and my coffee cake crumbled coming out of the pan.  My saving grace is it may not look pretty, but usually still tastes good.
I'll hide the cracked cheesecake with the whipped frosting and sprinkle the coffee cake with some powdered sugar...problems solved.
In the midst of the baking the girls and I squeezed in some craft time.  Every time we have dinner at my parents everyone pretty much sits in the exact same spots.  My dad at the head of the table with my grandpa and mom on either side, littles at the kids table and the rest of us scattered on the other end.  Even so, each Thanksgiving I feel compelled to make place settings.  Probably the same reason my mom pulls out the nice dishes for holidays...it's just the thing to do.  We made some fabulous turkeys to decorate the table tomorrow...
Crafting...
Finished Project...


We wrote on each one "Things to Be Thankful For..."  I took things the girls said because I love a child's perspective on this.  With them you get the things you know we are supposed to be thankful for...family, food, shelter.  You also get the honest answers of toys.  This is ok.  It is good to be thankful for all we have and if you are 5 years old you are pretty darn happy to have toys.  I am thankful for so many things.  I could makes lists of things I'm thankful for, but I'll spare you that and narrow it down to one thing...

Family.  If I had to pick just one thing it would be family.  I am thankful for my healthy girls who make me so happy Every. Single. Day.  I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because I get to be their mama.  I am thankful for Matt.  He is the rock of this family and my very best friend.  There is no one else I would want to share this adventure with.  I am thankful to have loving, supportive, healthy parents.  I am thankful for sisters.  Oh, I am so thankful for my sisters...it's been an up and down year.  There have been times I thought I might actually lose a sister and at this moment I am so happy to have them both here.  I am thankful for nieces and nephews who make me laugh, let me spoil them and are the best cousins to my babies.  I am thankful for grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws and best friends who might as well be family.  There is no lack of family love in my world and for that my heart is full of gratitude.

Tomorrow we get to celebrate all this in what I consider the best possible way.  Around a table of delicious food.  Good company, lots of laughs, noisy kids, plenty of chaos, food and wine.  What could be better than that.

Lots of Thanksgiving Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment