Friday, November 9, 2012

Brrrr.....

Baby it's cold outside.  And, I am happily inside...


Winter arrived to our little Bozeman today.  The temperatures were dropping when we went to bed and when we woke, this is what we were met with...

I always have mixed feelings about winter here and all this snow.  I think it might be rubbing off on Ava.  Earlier this week when it started to get chilly she declared that we should move to Florida.  This morning when she saw all the snow she was all about it, making plans to build snowmen, go sledding, wear her new gloves.  All thoughts of Florida left her mind and as she played in the snow later she smiled at me and told me "I don't miss summer anymore"  I totally understand this mixed emotion.  There was a part of me today that felt irritated by the snowstorm...people driving slow on icy roads, the extra time it takes for everyone to get bundled to get out the door, the freezing in the car for the first 5 minutes until the heat finally kicks in and the knowing this is just the beginning.  Knowing that there are people living elsewhere that are still wearing flip flops.  But, on the other hand it can feel incredibly cozy.  It's the perfect excuse for wearing a scarf over that sweater, it looks beautiful all white and fluffy and it means we can tuck into our home this weekend with my girls and not leave for any reason.  It also feels very much like the holidays are approaching and I can start dreaming of things like Christmas trees, stockings and big turkey dinners (with a happy turkey, of course)  I suppose that is why we haven't packed up our bags and rented a U-haul.  And, how can you resist when this is the joy the snow can bring...


I bundled up and attempted to build a snowman with them.  Turns out it wasn't the right snow for snowman building.  Anyone who lives around snow understands that it has to be a nice wet snow for a snowman and this was way too fluffy.  So, the girls just played around and I stayed out for as long as I could stand the cold.  I think I held out a good twenty minutes before I called it.  I made the excuse that I was going in to make them some tea and a snack and finally got the rosy cheeked girls to reluctantly come in.  The promise of sledding tomorrow helped with this.  Fluffy snow is perfect for sledding.  So, for the time being I will be embracing the cold, cozy weather.  When we get to the day after Christmas, I'll be singing a different tune.

In the midst of all the election chaos this week and arguing and negativity I found something that is bringing people together.  It is something really special and it made my week.  A few months ago I stumbled across this blog called Momastry.  Not only is it a great blog, they have this community that is just amazing...you have to check it out to understand it because I can't explain it well.  Basically this community works to help others in all sorts of different ways.  When I first heard about it I emailed them about my sister's story.  They responded and said they were going to try to find a way to help.  They kept in touch, but at the time hadn't found a way to help with her family.  Now, they are doing what they call "Holiday Hands"  People can put needs they or someone they know has as the holidays approach.  Others can read through and pick someone they would like to help.  I was intrigued by this little community of helping others (mainly mama's) so I went out on a limb and put my sisters story on there.  (I haven't even told her this so if you're reading this Kori, I will explain it all better when I see ya!!)  I explained briefly what was going on with her being sick and the medical bills and about her amazing family.  This isn't a place where someone is going to swoop in and pay off your medical bills...it's little things.  Within 5 minutes of posting it I had not one, but TWO responses!!  Two responses from TOTAL strangers who want to help my sister and her family some way this holiday season.  I was in such AWE of these women who didn't even hesitate.  This morning when I got up I had ANOTHER email of someone else who wanted to help.  I have been in contact with these three women today about how they can help...them asking questions about Kori's kids and favorite colors and stores they shop at so they can send gift cards to help Christmas shop.  It is just pure kindness.  It inspired me to take another look at this list and go through to find someone I can show this same kindness too.  As I read through story after story of others struggling I just wanted to help them all...to show them the same generosity that people had shown us.  One totally caught my eye.  A Mama who simply wanted someone to send some homemade goodies because they don't have a lot of food and she knows her kids would love some treats.  I emailed immediately to find out where I could send them and I can't wait to bake up some cookies and breads to send to them.  This Holiday Hands?  It shows the good in people.  It shows all the kindness that is out there.  It doesn't matter who is president or which side you stand on...these are the real things going on. 

Phew...that got longer winded than I expected.  I think it's because it just really blew me away.  Now, it's time for a very chilly weekend.  We have no plans.  That is another plus to winter...I feel no pressure to plan things on the weekends.  It's not like summer when I want to cram all the hiking, camping and playing outside into the few weekends we have.  In the winter we slow down.  We snuggle in, cook, eat, watch movies and just enjoy.

Stay warm and Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment