Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A New Venture...

I've been working on a little something in my free time and I'm finally ready to show it off.  I haven't talked about it with friends or family (besides getting my awesome hubby's advice here and there).  I think I've kept quiet because it  makes me incredibly nervous to try new things.  I tend to be risk adverse and worry more than I should about what people think.  If there is one thing I am so grateful for that Matt has taught me it's that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  If I feel good about it and it makes me happy then that is all that matters.   He is the one who encouraged me to start the blog when I began chattering about it and he's the one that encouraged me to start something I enjoy, so here it goes.  I've started small and maybe one day it'll grow bigger but as I said I'm risk adverse so this is me dabbling my toes in...

I've opened an Etsy online store to sell some of the fun vintage things I find at antique stores.  It also has an art/photography section.  Matt is an amazing photographer and we have our home decorated with his work.  We get compliments on it often and I wanted to have it a part of this new venture.  I have been finding frames and letting my creativity go a little wild on them to create funky and unique home decor.  I have had such fun taking the beauty of his work and adding a bit of an edge to it so it's not just a standard photograph for your wall.  With the girls both in school now and just working part time, I've really enjoyed doing something different.  Maybe it will be a huge success and grow and one day I'll have my funky vintage store on wheels in an old school bus (that's my crazy vision!) or maybe it won't.  If that's the case then I already have Christmas presents for friends and family.  In any case, I'm excited about it and I think if you have passion you can have success.  I'm also nervous because there is the part in the back of my head that can't help but wonder if people will think I'm crazy and it's just a silly idea.  I wish I didn't have those thoughts, but I do.  However, I've gone for it and if you think I'm crazy or silly please just keep the thoughts to yourself so I can be blissfully unaware.  (However...if you have constructive criticism I am ALL for it...this is very new to me and I know some of you have been in this Etsy/blog world longer)  My blog will continue to be about my family, food and enjoying our happy little life.  It will not become an advertisement for Savvy Chic.  I will however, occasionally put a photo of a new item at the end because some of them are just so great I have to share.  For example this is my absolute favorite I have right now.  It just might have to stay with me if it doesn't sell...
Retro Red Clutch...can use with or without the handle...LOVE!  
Okay...thanks for letting me share about my latest venture.  I also have a Facebook page set up for it, so if you get a chance, check it out and "Like" it.  Pass it on too.  And, keep it in mind for one of a kind holiday shopping.  Free Shipping.  Okay.. I promise, I'll really stop...it's just the marketing degree in me...sell, sell, sell!!!

I'm a little behind considering it's now the middle of the week, but we had a lovely weekend playing in the snow...


It was a chilly day, but it didn't seem to bother the girls in the least.  They went up and down the hill about a hundred times.  Matt and I stood at the top giving pushes down and freezing our butts off.  I went down with them once or twice just so I could run back up the hill to stay warm.  (And because it makes you feel like a kid, let's be honest)  We finally convinced them it was enough by bribing with hot cocoa at home...
  
Best part of playing outside is always the hot cocoa at the end.  I remember when we were kids, my sisters and I would put our faces in the snow right before we went inside.  That way our faces would look so red and cold that our mom would offer us hot chocolate.  I'm sure she was going to do it either way because she's an awesome mama, but we were convinced that we were "tricking" her into thinking it was the only way to warm our chilly faces.  

That evening I was trying a new recipe and what better way to do that than with company?  I love lasagna, however, Matt does not.  He has a problem if the noodles get crunchy on the top (weird, right?  Those are my favorite!)  Anyways...I thought maybe if I made the noodles homemade like I do for so many of my pasta dishes, they wouldn't get crunchy.  Homemade noodles tend to be more bread-like, so I didn't think they'd get crunchy.  It was a success!  Amy, Chad and their family were over and everyone enjoyed it...kiddos and all!  I didn't take a photo, but I'll add the recipe to the end!  I haven't been good about taking photos lately.  I think because I've been working on slowly adding back all the ones that got deleted that photos are not my favorite thing right now.  So far I've added photos back to September posts...only six more months to go...ugh.  Although, it has been fun to re-read old posts as I add photos back in.  Always a silver lining right?  

Sunday to divert the girls from asking to go sledding in the freezing cold again we suggested a trip to the museum.  I knew they had a new exhibit and our membership is only good through Christmas so we wanted to take advantage.  I love that we have a membership there, it makes impromptu trips so much easier.  You don't worry if you only stay a hour...it doesn't have to be a full day.  Although, I think the girls could have stayed all day this time.  They were very into the "Raise The Roof" exhibit....lots of fun, hands on activities.

The favorite was building a virtual doghouse to see if it could withstand natural disasters...that one was funny.  After wandering the museum we made a stop in the awesome playroom and finally dragged them out a hour later...
I love, love, LOVE the toy kitchen they have there...wish we had it at home instead of the plastic kitchen the girls have!

Hmmm...what to eat first
It was a nice family afternoon.  Going to the museum is one of our "winter" activities.  Something on my long list of things we can do when it's too cold to be outside.  

It was a good weekend to be tucked in with family.  The temperatures are warming up, but our town is still snow filled and it makes me giddy with excitement for the holidays.  Last night I went out with a couple of friends for dinner and when we walked outside it just smelled like Christmas.  I can't believe Thanksgiving is a week from tomorrow, I can't wait.  I have so very much to be thankful for.  Speaking of which...thank you for listening to me about my new venture...very exciting indeed.

Happy Day to Ya!!

Lasagna
NOODLES:  On a clean surface mix 2 1/2 cups flour (I used half white flour and half semolina flour) with a teaspoon of salt.  Make a well in the middle.  In a bowl combine 2 large eggs and 3 egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Slowly pour into the well, incorporating into the flour mixture with a fork.  Once it's all combined, knead until smooth.  (Add more flour if it's too sticky or a little water if it's too dry)  Cover with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes.  Divide dough in two and roll out to 1/8 inch thick and cut into lasagna noodle size strips.  Put in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute, then put directly in a bowl of ice and then lay out on a kitchen towel until you are ready to use.
I use my MARINARA sauce.  In a greased casserole dish layer sauce, noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese (you could use ricotta, I just love it with cottage cheese!) until you are out ending with sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350-degrees.  Take off the tinfoil and make for 15 more minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment