Monday, October 29, 2012

Party Time...Few Word, Lots of Pics!

This weekend we had our annual Halloween party and it was fun as usual.  I was trying to remember how this little tradition started...hosting this party, and thought it began when we first moved into this house around 9 years ago.  I then realized it began long before that.  In college when Amy and I were roommates we started having Halloween parties.  These weren't Halloween parties on the actual day with costumes and such.  They were always a girls night where our friends came to our cute little house, ate chili, drank wine and carved pumpkins.  Such fun memories.  
Anyways.  Back to the present, still lots of chili and wine...
Chow...










Festive Drinks...     

The best part is everyone dresses up.  This is my favorite of the whole party, seeing what costumes everyone comes up with.  My girls didn't want to wear their costumes they are planning on wearing for trick or treating this week, so they went to the dress up box and got creative.  Not too bad for thrown together or borrowed outfits.


And our guests...







I love having everyone over.  Something about being in costumes just puts everyone in a happy and festive mood.  After everyone had filled themselves with enough food it was time for some games for the kids.  Last year Ava had this fantastic idea to bob for apples at the party, but have the apples hanging from the ceiling.  This was a great game and there were a lot of laughs (especially Matt and I my brother in law taking a turn) However, I wanted something different this year.  Thanks to Pinterest I found the "Mummy" wrapping game.  It totally reminded me of the "make a toilet paper wedding dress" game I've played at many a bridal showers, but I thought we'd do this Halloween version.  Needless to say you give a kid a roll of toilet paper and they are gonna have some fun.  Make a mess, but have a lot of fun in the process...








Eight rolls of toilet paper later...



What could have been a disaster to have to clean up was actually quite easy as I told excited kids to grab handfuls and run it to the fire pit outside.  Turns out kids don't mind cleaning up the mess if it means they get to have a bonfire along with it.  Since everyone was outside at this point we decided to do the pumpkin scavenger hunt.  Or in this years case, the buttercup squash scavenger hunt.  We ended up with a ton of these in our garden which we didn't know we were growing.  I wanted to save the few pumpkins we actually did grow for pumpkin pie and bread and such, so I passed the squash off as green pumpkins and sent the kids into the backyard on the hunt.  Thank you unpredictable Montana weather for cooperating and giving us a lovely fall evening for this event.










They may not be pumpkins, but they make nice decorations.  I may even attempt to cook one, just not sure yet.  We decided to take advantage of the nice evening and take a walk up to the creepy house.  This is a house in our neighborhood that always puts the best Halloween decorations out.  Last year the kids kept wanting to go trick or treat there so they could see it, but we didn't make it that far.  (It takes a couple hours to just go a couple blocks when you are stopping at Every. Single. House. along the way)  The party seemed like the perfect night to take them all there.  Kim kept saying we were going on a field trip....a creepy field trip.



Once back at the house it was time for kiddos to wind down so I settled them in for a Halloween movie and then it was time to say good night.



Our parties may not last until the wee hours anymore, but I like what they have evolved into.  Family and friends together just having a good time.  Nothing fancy, just simple fun.  After the party and clean up is over I always feel like Halloween should be done.  But, no.  We still have more costumes, class parties and trick or treating to do.  I promise I'll just mention Halloween once more next time and then I'll tuck it all away and move onto the next holiday. Tis the season.

Have a happy Halloween week.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! Looks like a great party and seriously - all the costumes were great!

    ReplyDelete