Sunday, September 23, 2012

Weekend Happies.

I went to take photos off the camera from the past week and weekend, all ready to see what we had and look for writing inspiration.  What I found was 6 pictures.  Pretty pathetic.  I guess now that the girls are in school all day and I'm at work I don't have as many photo opportunities.  The inside of my office is pretty boring and I would definitely look like the odd parent if I was still snapping photos of the kids at school now that we're four weeks in.  Therefore, the best thing to do this lovely evening is to go with a little list of happies from the week.

-Daddy came home.  Not only did he make it home safe, he brought gifts...


Whenever Matt goes back to Michigan he always comes back with some sort of Detroit paraphernalia...good choice with the pink tee's for the girls.  We had a fun girls weekend, but it was SO nice to have him home, everything just feels much more complete.  Matt being home also meant return of date night on Friday.  We had creamy spinach, mushroom scallops and roasted red potatoes with truffle oil and sea salt and some brushetta to bring it all together.  It was so good.

-Black Bubbles.  Have you ever had red champagne?  Well, I had my first experience last week.  My younger sister, Nicole and I decided to finally go out for a drink one evening.  She moved back this summer and we have been talking about going out for a girls night since then and finally got to do it.  We headed downtown to Plonk.  We had a great table situated perfectly half inside to stay warm, half outside to feel the cool late summer evening.  For some reason I felt in a celebratory mood so was checking out the champagne options when I notice red champagne.  Of course, I had to try it and I think I found my new favorite cocktail.  You get the flavor of a nice, dry red wine with the added bonus of happy bubbles!  It was a beautiful evening where we got to have full conversations without the distraction or interruption of little children.  Many more of these evenings to come now that she lives here (and I can't wait to have them feel more complete when Kori can join the trio)

-Giant Zucchinis.  This makes the happy list because it's just funny.



I was supposed to keep an eye on the garden while Matt was gone.  Guess this one got away from me.  What am I gonna do with this thing?

-Bobcat Homecoming.  This weekend was MSU's homecoming.  We are not die hard Bobcat fans by any means, but this is always a fun weekend.  I'll always be a cheerleader at heart so anything that screams team spirit makes me happy.  I love seeing our town full of blue and gold and the excitement of cheering our team on.  We started things off with the parade on Saturday morning.  Amy, Chad and their kiddos joined us and except for the annoyance of the political floats, fun was had by all.
Waiting for the parade to begin
Proud MSU alum showing our school pride
"We've got spirit yes we do, we've got spirit how bout you?"  Sorry I can't help myself   
We continued the fun at lunch with friends at one of our favorites...The Garage
We haven't had a chance to hang out with these guys since the craziness of school began so it was great to catch up.  We didn't let it end at lunch...Frasers came over for a bar-b-q that evening to celebrate the official first day of Fall.  What better way to do that than sitting outside eating very summer like food of burgers and pasta salad?  The difference between doing it in September and July is simply sweatshirts.  Speaking of Fall, it truly is  in the air.  I noticed it on my run that morning...the changing of the leaves, the crispness, even the smell just all said Fall to me.  As much of a summer girl I claim to be, I do enjoy the changing of the seasons.  I'm not totally ready to trade my flip flops for boots, but I am starting to think about it.  As I told Amy that evening...I really do like Fall and Winter...I just wish Spring could begin January 1st.  To which, Amy just laughed at me.  Oh, well...a girl can wish right?

-Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Cookies.  These babies just could not be left off this list.  They take a little more work than some cookies, but are SO worth it.  

I wish I could say the recipe was my own, but I can't.  You can find it at one of my favorite food blogs...Picky Palate.  The one thing I did different is, I made two balls of the chocolate cookie and sandwiched the peanut butter ball in the middle.  I think more chocolate is always better.  Seriously...make these...you will not be disappointed.

-My First Smart Phone.  Matt has been trying to talk me into getting an iphone for months and I have resisted for months.  I'm fine with my old school phone and tend to be resistant to change with some things.  Cell phones are one of them.  (I think every phone I've had that wasn't just the free one for signing up was one Matt bought me)  Cars are another...I'm pretty certain I would still be driving my red Geo Storm if it wasn't for Matt.  It was a pretty cool car back in the day, however, I am thankful to my hubby for making sure I drive something a little better.  Back to the iphone...we were going to just check them out.  I think he thought if I saw them I would just have to have one.  That didn't happen...I look at them and don't get all excited like most people.  (Shoes and handbags maybe, but not cell phones)  I stepped away for a few minutes to take the girls to the restroom, come back and Matt is at the check out new phone in hand, telling me to go pick out a case.  After playing with it all afternoon I must say I am quite enjoying this world of technology that goes beyond just texting and phone calls.  Thank you Matt, for keeping me up to date in the technology world.  I plan on enjoying this phone for many years...or until he convinces me to upgrade again.

The list ended up longer than I expected, I just got caught up in it which I suppose is a good thing, right?  Now we are at the last week of September and I can't believe how fast it feels like it went.  We are now just a hop, skip and jump away from Halloween and the holidays...crazy.  We will soak up this last week of September with school, work, soccer practices and hopefully more photos than last week.  

Hope your weekend was full of your own happies.


Creamy spinach, mushroom scallops
-For Mushrooms:  Chop around one cup of mushrooms and place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, s&p and fresh minced garlic.  Roast at 375-degrees for around 15 minutes.  Set aside
-For Spinach:  Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan.  Add 1/2 cup chopped onions and 1 clove minced garlic.  Cook around 7 minutes until tender.  Add one bunch of spinach and 1/4 cup heavy cream.  Cook until cream is reduced by half.  Lower heat and add 1 1/2 tbls of Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs.  Let cool
-For Scallops  (Make sure to get the LARGE scallops, they are so much better!!):  Sprinkle scallops (I use around 6-7 large ones) with 1 tsp sugar, some s&p.  Heat some olive oil in a pan (I use the same one I cooked the spinach in, save on dishes)  Saute the scallops over med heat until golden brown.
-On a baking sheet put the scallops.  Top them with the prepared mushrooms and then top that with the prepared spinach.  Bake at 375-degrees for around 10-12 minutes, until scallops are done.  Enjoy.

Roasted red potatoes with truffle oil
-Cut the red potatoes in half (unless they are baby ones, then you don't need to cut them).  Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with sea salt.  Roast at 400-degrees for around 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and drizzle with truffle oil and top with s&p.  So simple, but very tasty.  The truffle oil brings it up a notch.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment