Monday, September 10, 2012

Kindness.

This past weekend we got to see a lot of goodness in people.  As an optimistic person, I tend to see the good over the bad anyways...this weekend it just stood out even more.  We had a benefit garage sale to try and raise money for my sister.  It seemed like a good way to clean out our closets, get to spend some time together and maybe raise a little money.  My mom, sisters and I spent the week going through and pricing items, added some more when my dad brought over a trailer full of junk stuff, made some signs promoting the Hope, Love & Funds for Kori benefit, threw some ads in the paper and on Craigslist and prepared for a busy day.  We barely got the garage door open the day of the sale and we had people ready to shop.  It was a good day.  It was a day where the kindness of strangers really showed.  It was a day where family came together to help one of our own.  (who, unfortunately didn't get to be there with us)  I think garage salers in general are looking for a deal, but all day people were telling us to keep the change for the benefit, over paying for things, buying large amounts of lemonade even though it was a cool morning and slipping cash into the donation bucket.  It wasn't just the financial support we received...it was the kind words and the promise of prayers.  Sometimes you can't help but just hear the negative in the world...the news in the morning is full of nasty politics, dangerous storms, tragedies around the world...it's nice to have a morning where all you see is the goodness in people.  Not just from strangers, but from family.  My aunt was one of the first to arrive with coffees for the adults and muffins for the kiddos, my mother-law came and sat at the lemonade stand long after the kids abandoned ship, my other aunt and cousins showed up a few hours later with pizza for all and to see if they could help.  One comment my mom heard was how great it was to see so many family members there all smiling and working together during what must be a difficult time.  Yea, I have a pretty freakin cool family.

By the end of sale, we all sat on the front porch, counted up the earnings (and excitedly texted Kori and Dave the final amount...$1,208!!), cheered with a couple beers and just hung out watching the last of the free stuff get taken away by passerbyers.  Neighbors slowly joined us and as family left we ended up having an impromptu dinner with them.  It was an exhausting and very fulfilling day.

The rest of the weekend was full of soccer games, cousin play time and getting ready for the week ahead.  First full week of school for the girls and I'm afraid the novelty of Kindergarten may already be wearing off on Layla.  This morning she told me, with her big brown puppy dog eyes, she just wanted to stay home with me.  If she only knew how much I wanted that too.  I gave her a big squeeze, reminded her it was library day and that I couldn't wait to hear all about it at the end of the day.  That seemed to work because I got smiles as her and Ava walked hand in hand off to the playground.  I so love that they have each other.  I like knowing even though they are in the huge school and probably don't see each other much, they are both there.  Together.

That's all for now...just a little rambling of my gratitude for the kindness of strangers.  I want to take this gratitude and do some random act of kindness for someone else this week.  I'll let you know how it goes...think about doing the same.
Hope your week is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment