Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Friday-Fish Tacos, Tortellini Soup & More!!

This week has been a nice, normal week, great spring weather to enjoy early on & now snowstorms to finish it off-boo on that.  Not to complain, but I'm totally over it.  (you would think you would get used to Montana springs, but they get to me EVERY year!) 
Tuesday Ava got done with school early…it's so nice to get just those extra couple of hours with her.  It doesn't feel like we go straight from school, to homework to time to get things going for dinner…we still get all that done, but on top of it some leisure time.  We, of course, spent it outside…the girls playing and me beginning a new book that I am SO excited about reading.  I didn't intend on starting it because I'm still finishing a different one and I'm a one book-at-a-time kinda girl, but I couldn't help myself.  I was going to just flip through for a minute but ended up reading the entire prologue and made myself stop before going further.  It's gonna be a tear jerker…and it's a memoir so it's a true story, so even more emotional…I can't wait!  Now if I can get my sisters to read it we can do a book club on it…although that first one we tried to do was not that successful.  Oh, well. 
Wednesday Layla and I had a pleasant morning…our usual grocery store trip, then we made a little craft.  This girl has been waiting patiently do make this little Easter tree she saw in her Highlights magazine (oh, they take me back to sitting in the dentist office as a kid, flipping through them).  We haven't had all the supplies, and finally got the last thing we needed.  With a little guidance she worked her tiny little fingers around the twisty ties and cellophane paper and it turned out adorable. 

Layla has this wonderful independence…she truly wants to try everything on her own.  I try to remind myself to let her and embrace it and step back.  I have a tendency to try to get in there and help her when she is not even asking for it.  (She is good at telling me "no, I'll do it myself")  Maybe it's being the second child that she has the desire to do so much herself, or maybe it's just her…either way I love seeing it. 

That night I  attempted to make fish tacos.  I always eat them at restaurants and love them, so I decided to try to make them myself. They turned out AWESOME!!  The marinade I made to cook the fish in was delicious (taco seasoning, pepper, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and peach preserves…all pureed together)  I used cod fillet, marinated it for a couple hours (fish chopped into pieces), then I sauteed them in olive oil.  We put them a wheat tortilla topped them with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, my mango salsa and sour cream...yummy!!  I wanted to make it a little fruity because it seems like when I order them they usually have a pineapple or some other tropical fruit type salsa on it.  No photo of this dinner because we ate them before I even thought of it!!
Little things I'm happy for right now:
-The sunshine we had earlier this week!!!  It was not hot yet by any means and the snow is here now, but the sun was fantastic.  (Layla and I had lunch outside on Wednesday…her suggestion, and the kiddos all got to play crazy outside at my parents this week for family dinner!!)
-The upcoming holiday-I love playing the Easter bunny…even more than Santa.  Maybe because it's less pressure.  Santa has to fill stockings with great goodies AND have the biggest, best gift under the tree.  The Easter bunny just gets to put silly things and candy in plastic eggs (our favorite is putting baby carrots in them…the girls think it's hilarious every year…they say "this is bunny food!") and the baskets get to be filled with fun little gifts.  And, because it's spring it's usually fun stuff for outside like sidewalk chalk and bubbles.  Then…you get to hide the eggs, which I swear becomes a competition between Matt and I for who can find the better hiding spots.  (I also love that I get up before anyone on Easter morning to hide the dyed eggs outside…even if there's snow!)
-Weekend plans-last week was a lazy-turned-busy weekend…this weekend is full of plans!  Dinner with friends, dying Easter eggs, and all the Easter fun and maybe some furniture shopping.  (we've been trying to find stuff for our room…to finally get rid of the last pieces of furniture that have been loaned to us from family, then we can be proper grown-ups)
-Watching Layla really come into her personality.  She has always had this wild sassy personality…but as she is coming into school age and fully leaving preschooler behind, it's changing a little.  She is starting to seem more grown-up, more like her big sister.  Even her face is changing…her huge brown eyes and big smile take up the whole face and some of the toddler chubby cheeks are leaving.  I feel bitter sweet about this.  I look at her and am taken away by how pretty she is, and then feel sad that her cheeks aren't as squeezable.  (but they are just as kissable!)
Last night I made a family favorite....Tortellini Soup with some homemade bread, it's a crowd pleaser at my house~
Here's the recipe:

Tortellini Soup:
-Chopped carrots, celery, onion, zucchini and/or green beans.  (I do about a cup of each and you can vary what type of veggies you use!)
-1 can diced tomatoes
-1 can tomato sauce
-3 1/2 cups veggie broth
-Salt & pepper.
-1 package tortellini (or homemade if you are feeling ambitious!!)
*Put all of the above in a large sauce pan, bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer.  Cover and let simmer until veggies start getting soft (about 10-15 min).  Add the tortellini and cook an additional 10 minutes until tortellini is done. 

This soup is something I can make and nobody will complain at dinner time...especially if you serve it with warm bread.  (I made herb-wheat baguettes...mmmm)

Ready for a lovely weekend of friends,family and of course at-home-date night with my hubby (manicotti with marinara sauce).
Happy Good Friday & Easter!!!

6 comments:

  1. You can't tease me with the book talk and then not tell me what the book is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last message was from Sara Irvin. I still don't know why I am not able to post properly :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, I want to hear what book this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book is "Bloom" by Kelle Hampton...I'm obsessed with her blog and her book just came out. It is FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie - I can't wait to get home and try some of your recipes. The tortellini soup looks SO good. Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Kelle Hampton fan too! I cannot wait to get her book and read it! xx

    ReplyDelete