Friday, March 23, 2012

Food and Fashion for Friday!!

Best way to begin a Friday??  Dancing.  I could hear music and thumping coming from Ava's room this morning as we were doing our usual getting ready for school/work routine and I opened the door to find the girls dancing it up to one of my old "NOW 7" cd's  (Yes, I still have all my old cheesy cd's and still occasionally listen to them).  All rosy cheeked and out of breath-Ava told me "We're going to start everyday dancing...we just wish we had all Michael Jackson CD's"  Too funny!!  Well, Ava...you do have a birthday coming!!

Another lovely way to start a Friday??  Talk of weekend weather in the 60's!  I would prefer the 80's we were enjoying in Florida, but I'll take what I can get.  It's funny how crazy we all get here in Montana at the first signs of warm weather.  Everywhere you looked yesterday you saw flip flops and shorts.  I guess when you have a summer as short as ours ya gotta start early! 

So...a little food fun...last night I tried a new recipe-Lentil and Pasta soup.  Matt loves lentils (good Lebanese food) however, I haven't quite jumped on board with it.  But, if you add pasta and cheese to it I figured it's gotta be good and it was.  It was a hit with the whole family (and that can be tricky!)  I didn't take a photo because it doesn't look as pretty as it tastes...here's the recipe if your wanna give it a go.  (Bonus-it's super healthy!!)
Lentil and Pasta Soup
-Heat olive oil in a big sauce pan and toss in a couple cloves of garlic, some chopped onion and chopped carrot...saute around 10 minutes.  (You could add any other veggies here also)
-Add 6 cups of water, 2 cups of veggie broth, 1 can of whole or diced tomatoes and 3/4 cup lentils.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and some dried thyme
-Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer covered around 20-25 minutes
-Toss in 1 cup of dried pasta (we used bow tie) and chopped chard (I used red chard)...cook around 10 minutes until noodles are done
-Stir in some torn basil and shredded Parmesan cheese and serve with bread
ENJOY!

Tonight is "at home" date night as Matt and I call them.  We put the girls to bed early and have a nice dinner and some together time alone to catch up from the week.  Because I'm feeling freshly inspired by the raise in temperatures we're gonna do some homemade salsa (with chopped mango-I've never done it so we'll see how it goes), guac and some crab empanadas...yummy!  If all goes well, maybe we can enjoy this little spread on our back deck.

Happy Friday!!

2 comments:

  1. You have a new reader! Adding you to my 'list' of blogs to peek at!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Amy!!! Thanks...I have to add yours to mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete